- e•clipse A Workshop for Female Artists
- Play the didjeridu again! Join me, Susan Rawcliffe, & other didjeridudaists.
- Public Labs Map Making Workshop
- Musical Theatre professionals invited to open workshop sessions
- Non-Profit Fundraising Certificate Program – Loyola Marymount University
- CCI – The Art of Persuasion: Making Better Deals – Ventura
LA will be the site for a national congress organized by The Right to the City, a national alliance of racial, environmental and economic justice organizations. The congress will culminate in an actions targeting MTA and Fannie Mae to address issues of gentrification and displacement particularly in Boyle Heights. A number of social justice organizations in LA are part of this coalition including Union de Vecinos and the East LA Community Corporation . Other groups that will be involved include SAJE, KIWA and Inner City Struggle. They are asking people to make props for actions.
When: Friday, September 07, 2012 2:00 PM-8:00 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).
What: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!!!! We need to make many many visuals and props for the MTA and Fannie Mae actions – IF you have the skills to pay the bills and want help us build awesome materials, PLEASE join us. IF you know of partner orgs, resident, students, random volunteers that are down to help please forward!
We need to build:
• Rolling gardens to put on MTA lots
• Big cut outs of housing
• Large banners and signs for march
• Large poster board of MTA ‘demands’
If you’re interested contact Elizabeth Blaney at firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be a great opportunity to meet some community based organizations doing important work. You’re also welcome to register for the whole congress.Sept. 12-14
Check out: http://la-urban-congress.org/
On this day the dept of Planning will be meeting yet again to vote on the proposed Mural Ordinance, before passing it to the City Council.
When: October 11th, 2011
Our city is bombarded with billboards and yet our murals are being erased, no new murals are staying up before graffiti abatement comes in and destroys them and artists are being cited and doing time, lives have been ruined, jobs have been taken away.
Lets speak up..don’t be complacent…
LET OUR VOICES BE HEARD!! ART IS FOR EVERYONE!!
TEACHERS! COMMUNITY MEMBERS! BUSINESS OWNERS! ART BASED ORGANIZATIONS! COMMUNITY LEADERS, ORGANIZERS, ACTIVISTS! PARENTS! STUDENTS! ARTISTS!!
OUR VOICE IS OUR WEAPON!!! USE IT!!!
“On July 12, 2012, the City Planning Commission (CPC) heard and deliberated on a proposed ordinance to allow the creation and preservation of Original Art Murals.
Thirty speakers spoke on the proposed ordinance and expressed concerns regarding:
(1) digitally printed images being permitted as murals;
(2) the registration fee for new murals;
(3) the registration fee for existing murals;
(4) the 100 foot height limitation, and;
(5) the mural ban on residential buildings with fewer than five units.” *Dept. of City Planning Recommendation Report.
ART IS HEALING, BEAUTIFYING, LOVE FOR THE EVERYONE.
Sign the Petitioning Los Angeles City Council and Los Angeles City Planning Department Stop the “Second Final Draft Mural Ordinance” as is from passing. https://www.change.org/petitions/los-angeles-city-council-and-los-angeles-city-planning-department-stop-the-second-final-draft-mural-ordinance-as-is-from-passing This petition will be delivered to: Los Angeles City Council and Los Angeles City Planning Department.
mural ordinance as it reads now: http://cityplanning.lacity.org/Code_Studies/Misc/MuralOrdinance.pdf
updated staff report as of July 12, 2012: http://cityplanning.lacity.org/Code_Studies/Misc/supplementalmural_StaffRpt.pdf
- Exploring Writing and the Body/Mind Connection
- Sparking Inclusive Dialogue through Creative Placemaking, 10/20
- Workshop Focus: Painting fabrics and textures
- Vocal Improv Workshop, 9/5
“Sparking Inclusive Dialogue Through Creative Placemaking” Emerging Arts Leaders / LA – Creative Conversation, October 2012
When: Saturday, October 20 · 10:45am – 6:00pm
Where: Atwater Village Theatre
3269 Casitas Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90039
At 4:00pm the event will move to The Griffin (3000 Los Feliz
Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90039) for a networking mixer.
- Tuesday Night Figure Drawing
- Enroll In The David Henry Hwang Writers Institute
- Wednesday Sept 5th: Drawing Club at Pop-Hop
- ECHO PARK FILM CENTER: Saturday, September 15 – INTRO TO FINAL CUT PRO 7 – 1 – 5 PM
- ECHO PARK FILM CENTER: YOUTH WORKSHOP FALL SESSION – THE BODY – BEGINS WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12: 4:30 PM
- ECHO PARK FILM CENTER: Saturdays in September – ADULT DOC CLASS – BEGINS SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22: 10 AM
- ECHO PARK FILM CENTER: Saturday, September 29 – 16MM WORKSHOP – September 29, 12:30 – 5:30 PM
- Machine Project: Staple Draping Workshop
- Call for submissions – 1000 Words Workshop with Boris Mikhailov in Morocco, November 2012
- Theatre Movement Bazaar Physical Theatre Actor Training Workshop
- MESC Annual Institute – Think Collaboratively
- Singers & Musicians: Vocal Improv Workshop
- Fellini Photo Workshop, Berlin
- Guy Debord, Filmmaker – The Public School
Los Angeles Filmforum at MOCA presents – Tricky Poses and Taxing Conditions: Performance and Media on September 13
When: Thursday, September 13, 2012, 7:00 pm
Where: MOCA Grand Avenue, 250 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles 90012
Virginia Digital is an artist-ran digital photographic post-production business, operated by Juliana Paciulli, who is printing the first series of limited edition fine art prints for Los Angeles Art Resource. Services include drum & flatbed scanning, expert beauty retouching, digital compositing and resortation. She also offers a variety of state of the art printing options using fine art archival inks, papers and stretchable fabrics. You’ll be able to see her skills first hand if you attend our fundraising event, this Sunday, August 19th at the Mandrake from 6-10PM.
As a special offer to Los Angeles Art Resource readers, Virginia Digital is providing a 20% discount on orders for anyone who mentions this post.
Click here to check out the Virginia Digital site for the full list of services and samples of the tremendous work Juliana has done for her clients.
- DIG – Concord’s Birthday and Archaeological Fundraiser, Saturday August 18th
- Participate in ARTmageddon – Calling artists, organizations and venues!
The compression is not subservient to the explosion; it gives it increased force by Kenneth Tam
A Lax Riddle Unit by Laida Lertxundi
Alternative Strategies #1: Handmade Home by Marcy Saude
AM/PM by Brigid McCaffrey
AIR QUALITY by Sarah Rara
Paranoia Prima by Bobbi Woods
Releasing Human Energies by Mark Toscano
The Image World by Adele Horne
- Primeval Soundscapes: Making ceramic OCARINAS!
- Walking Into Walls (and Curtains): Actors and Artists Make Theater
- Introduction to Wire Wrapping Class
- Introduction to Knitting and Other Lessons In Patience
- Ensemble Creation Techniques Workshop August 11
- Last Week to Register for Los Angeles Children’s Chorus Teacher’s Workshop
- Photography class
- July 28th – bronze sculpture workshop – Last this summer!
When: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 7:30 pm
Where: Spielberg Theatre at the Egyptian Theatre, 6712 Hollywood Blvd. LA CA 90028
Check out the new STUDIO VISIT interview with PS PROJECTSPACE!
Jan van der Ploeg of PS Projectspace, Amsterdam
Today we have a new interview with PS Projectspace of Amsterdam. Keep an eye out for their exhibition in the upcoming Co/lab Art Fair, September 27-30 at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, as part of the Art Platform fair.
Click the STUDIO VISIT page tab at the top of the page or click HERE
- Echo Park Film Center Workshop – Digital Editing: Introduction to Final Cut Pro
- Echo Park Film Center Workshop – Introduction to 16mm Filmmaking & Hand-Processing
- Echo Park Film Center Workshop – Introduction to Documentary Filmmaking
- Didjeridu Workshop, 7/21
- Open Company Class with Gulistan Dance Theater
- Sessions Songwriting and Music for Kids is offering UKULELE LESSONS
- Machine Project: How to Transform your Studio Practice, Using a Design Process: A Workshop featuring Clive and Miriam Dym
- Machine Project: Trash Myths: hippie trash pits and other things you can dig up
We received this letter from Anna Siqueiros in regards to an important decision being made today in regards to the future of Los Angeles murals. In short, the city has bypassed a carefully crafted mural ordinance which was written in collaboration with our community’s muralists, and has drafted a revised version of their own without consulting the panel of artists. This revised ordinance requires that building owners must own at least 5 properties in order to commission a mural, and also encourages the unsustainable practice of producing commercially printed vinyl as murals. This will severely limit who has access to commissioning murals, and will will result in our city generating more toxic billboard waste, rather than producing more lasting murals for generations to come. Please read Anna’s call to action and call the City Planner, Thomas Rothmanm today. He can be reached at 213-978-1891. This is a personal letter from me to you that is of grave importance for you to read. My name is Anna Siqueiros.
USSSA’s revolution: an artist organized rally
When: Sunday, July 15th
Deadline: July 11th, 2012
- Development Manager, P.S. Arts
- Education and Programs Assistant, PS Arts
We would like to extend a special thanks to our new affiliate, and first donor, Los Angeles Industrial Art Compound. Los Angeles Industrial Art Compound is an studio compound founded by the artist Hacer, and Ashley Lund.
In 2011, upon completion of a year-long demolition / remodel of a former shopping cart plating facility, the compound was re-born as a community of private studios. To further the industrial arts, several studios at the compound offer classes in their field of expertise [blacksmithing, metal smithing, woodworking, welding, etc].
You can check out some of their studios on our posts this Friday, and for more information, check out their website, or email them about their workshops at the address below.
Los Angeles Industrial Art Compound
- Workshop at Machine Project: Motors and Mechanisms
- CCI – Time Management for Artists
WE HAVE OFFICIALLY RECEIVED FISCAL SPONSORSHIP FROM FRACTURED ATLAS!!! YAY!
What does that mean? That means that Los Angeles Art Resource is eligible to solicit and receive grants and tax-deductible contributions that are normally available only to 501(c)(3) organizations.
So.. when you give to LAAR, your contributions are TAX DEDUCTABLE! Go ahead, DONATE! CONTRIBUTE! SUPPORT! Help us to help the Los Angeles art community by continuing to provide comprehensive, up to date resources and opportunities! We are working (volunteering) our tails off for you, give a little love. See that yellow DONATE button over there? Yup that one to the right.. click on it.. it’s tax deductable!
Thank you! Thank you!
- Arts Refoundry Bronze Casting Workshop
- Classical Guitar Lessons at Avenue 50 Studios
- The Sights and Sounds of Highland Park, Sin Turistas Photo Workshops, June 23rd & July 29th
- FREE THE VOICE Workshop @ Pieter Performance space with Odeya Nini, July 22nd
- Capoeira Angola Circle, all levels @ Pieter Performance space, Wednesdays & Saturdays
- The Wilderness Mind Summer Solstice Celebration a free family event Sunday, June 24 from 1 to 3 pm
This week we’ve published an interview with Highland Park cooperative project space, Monte Vista Projects, one of the spaces which will be participating in the Co/Lab Fair this September.
To check out the interview and read about what they have going on now, click here: http://losangelesartresource.wordpress.com/studio-visit/
To read Carol Cheh’s recent review of a performance night there check out this link to Cheh’s blog Another Righteous Transfer, featuring excellent writing about area performance work.
- Get Your Sh*t Together: Summer Business Workshop for Artists at the Armory Center for the Arts
- New American Paintings 2012 Pacific Coast Competition, Deadline June 30, 2012
- Calls for Writing and Visually Disruptive Content at Momma Tried Magazine, Deadline July 31st
- Public Art call in Albuquerque, NM, Deadline 5PM Mountain Standard Time, July 6, 2012
- The Installation Project at Windward School, Deadline June 29, 2012
- MIA @ The Armory, Submissions accepted now on a revolving basis until May 15, 2013
- West Coast Fiber and Book Arts For Western States artists, Deadline July 21, 2012
- Call for Submissions, Interface Art Gallery San Francisco, Deadline June 30, 2012